Official Rules First International Aquavit (Akvavit) Competition 2015

Here are the official rules for the First International Aquavit Competition in Sveadal (Morgan Hill, CA) May 31, 2015.

Official Rules

The Official Rules for this International Competition are as follows:

  • Competitors may compete in every category.
  • Most Traditional Aquavit/Akvavit MUST feature         either (or both) caraway and/or dill. Other spices may be used, but these flavors must be prominent.               No sweetening is allowed in the category. Wormwood (aka absinthe) may be used—BUT ITS USE MUST BE NOTED ON THE BOTTLE because some people have had strong reactions to it in the past.
  • Best Tasting is an open category. If it is potable, you may use it. Same rule applies regarding use of wormwood. You can use any safe ingredients.
  • Best Presentation is also an open category. Be   creative. This is one category where we can ‘judge a book by its cover.’
  • Bribing judges is forbidden!

Remember this is an international competition.

Competitors will be joining in from around the world. Time to bring your “A” game. People will be here from Sweden, and possibly other foreign countries like Iceland and Michegan.

Judging

 

A serious competition deserves serious judges. Our own Brother Jim Melin has arranged an all-star panel of judges.

Lars Nordell, former Master Chef at the Grand Hotel in Stockholm and former owner of the renowned Three Crowns restaurant in Grand Rapids, Michegan. Now residing in Michegan.

Roberth Sundell, Chef-Owner of Pläj Restaurant in San Francisco.

Alex Hult, former NHL hockey player and Chef-Owner of Hult’s Restaurant in Los Gatos.

All three are natives of Sweden and have agreed to       attend Sweden Day as judges of the International   Competition.

(Jim Melin is solely responsible for bringing these three distinguished chef/judges. Tusen Tack Jim!!)

Procedure:

Each Celebrity Judge will have 20% of the total vote, for a combined total of 60%. The other participants’ votes will account for the remaining 40%.

 

More info will be posted soon.